A Confident and Permanent Solution to Missing Teeth
Losing teeth can have a profound impact on both oral health and self-esteem, affecting everything from daily functionality to one’s confidence in social settings. Thankfully, our highly skilled Waterford, MI dentist, Dr. Amanda Sheehan, offers All-on-4 dental implants as a transformative and permanent solution for missing teeth.
If you’re looking for an effective solution for missing teeth, schedule a consultation at Oakland Family Dental today by giving Dr. Sheehan a call at (248) 674-0384.
What Are All-on-4 Implants?
All-on-4 implants are a restorative implant dentistry technique that makes efficient use of your existing bone structure to replace multiple missing teeth in a row. Strategic placement of a minimal number of implants, usually just four implants per arch, supports a fixed full prosthesis restoration. Thanks to the innovative design of All-on-4 dental implants, you can enjoy the significant benefits of dental implants and replace missing teeth, usually without having to worry about undergoing bone grafting or gum grafting.
Benefits of All-on-4 Dental Implants
Less Need for Supplemental Procedures
All-on-4 dental implants often eliminate the need for supplemental procedures like bone grafting and gum grafting. This is particularly advantageous for individuals with jawbone loss, as the tilted implant placement makes the most of available bone, reducing the necessity for extensive preparatory surgeries like bone grafts.
More Affordable Treatment
All-on-4 implant surgery is generally a more cost-effective option for replacing missing teeth, especially when compared to traditional implant treatments that require more dental implants and supplemental procedures. This affordability can make the benefits of implant fixtures accessible to a broader range of patients.
Shorter Treatment Times
The All-on-4 dental implant procedure is typically quicker than conventional dental implant procedures. The angled implant placement allows for immediate natural teeth replacement, usually the same day as your dental implant surgical procedure. This significantly reduces the time required to achieve a full smile and replace missing teeth.
More Rapid Recovery
All-on-4 patients often experience a faster and more comfortable recovery period after their dental implant surgery. Thanks to the immediate placement of their new fixed teeth, many individuals can resume their regular activities and dietary habits sooner, enhancing their overall quality of life.
Reduced Risk of Postoperative Complications
All-on-4 dental implant placement results in a more stable and secure teeth replacement method. This reduces the risk of complications, such as implant failure or the need for adjustments, making it a reliable and long-lasting solution for full-arch teeth replacement.
Stability for Denture Wearers
The All-on-4 dental implant procedure is an excellent option for denture wearers who struggle with loose or ill-fitting dentures. The fixed implant-supported prosthetic provides a stable and secure solution, eliminating the need for messy adhesives and the discomfort of shifting dentures.
Who Qualifies for All-on-4?
- Multiple Missing or Failing Teeth: All-on-4 is suitable for individuals with several failing or missing teeth in one or both dental arches.
- Good General Health: Besides missing natural teeth, candidates should be in good overall health to undergo the implant surgery and healing process.
- Desire for Fixed, Non-Removable Teeth: Candidates should prefer a fixed and non-removable tooth replacement solution, as opposed to traditional dentures.
- Commitment to Oral Care: Patients must be willing to maintain proper oral hygiene and attend regular check-ups to ensure the longevity of their All-on-4 dental implants.
- Realistic Expectations: Candidates must have realistic expectations about the dental implant procedure outcome and the time required for the treatment process.
All-on-4 Dental Implant Process
Before embarking on the All-on-4 dental implant journey, your first step is to visit Oakland Family Dental for a thorough consultation. During this initial visit, our experienced Waterford dentist will conduct a thorough assessment of your oral health. Dr. Sheehan will also review your medical history, discuss potential sedation dentistry options, and establish clear oral health goals to ensure that All-on-4 is the right implant procedure for you.
Designing Your All-on-4 Dental Implants
Once it’s determined that All-on-4 dental implants are the most suitable solution for your needs, we progress to the design phase. Detailed images and impressions of your remaining natural teeth and gums will be meticulously taken, using technology like the iTero® Intraoral Scanner. These images and impressions serve as the essential blueprints for your personalized All-on-4 dental implants. They’re then sent to a specialized laboratory, where your unique implant solution is crafted.
Preparation For Your All-on-4 Implants
If necessary, your implant dentist will perform tooth extraction to make room for your new implants. Before the implant posts are installed, your oral cavity undergoes a thorough cleaning to remove debris and plaque. Dr. Sheehan will administer a local anesthetic to ensure your comfort during the procedure. Once the anesthetic has taken effect, and in coordination with any chosen sedation method, your dentist proceeds to install the implant posts.
The implant surgery process involves the creation of small incisions in your gums at predetermined locations. Dr. Sheehan surgically inserts the posts into your jawbone, initiating a natural fusion process known as osseointegration. This crucial phase typically takes three to six months.
Attaching Your Permanent Restorations
For the final phase of your All-on-4 dental implant procedure, your Waterford implant dentist attaches your prosthetic arches. They’ll make any adjustments to your fixed teeth as necessary to ensure your smile is comfortable and natural-looking. This marks the completion of your all-on-4 dental implant journey, leaving you with a fully restored and confident smile.
All-on-4 Dental Implant Aftercare
After the successful surgical procedure to place your dental implants, it’s crucial to follow a dedicated aftercare routine to ensure the long-term success and health of your new smile. Here are some essential steps to consider:
- Maintain Excellent Oral Hygiene: Brush your implant-supported teeth and gums gently with a soft-bristle toothbrush. Use a low-abrasive toothpaste to prevent scratching the prosthetic teeth. Floss daily to remove plaque and debris from around the dental implants.
- Regular Dental Check-Ups: Schedule and attend routine dental check-up appointments as recommended by your dentist. These check-ups allow our dental team to monitor the condition of your All-on-4 dental implants and address any issues promptly.
- Professional Cleanings: Continue with professional dental cleanings to ensure the health of your dental implants and maintain overall oral hygiene.
- Dietary Considerations: Be mindful of your dietary choices to protect your new smile. Avoid extremely hard or sticky foods that could place excessive stress on the implant-supported prosthetics or your dental implants.
- Oral Health Products: Use oral health products recommended by your dentist, such as mouth rinses or specific cleaning tools, to maintain the cleanliness of your implant-supported teeth.
- Avoid Smoking and Excessive Alcohol: If you smoke, consider quitting, as smoking can increase the risk of implant failure. Additionally, limit alcohol consumption for overall oral health.
- Protection During Physical Activity: If you engage in physical activities or sports, consider wearing a mouthguard to protect your implant-supported teeth.
- Promptly Address Issues: If you experience any discomfort, or pain, or notice any issues with your All-on-4 dental implants, contact your dentist immediately to address and resolve the problem.
Frequently Asked Questions
While your prosthetics will likely need to be replaced every 10 to 15 years due to regular wear and tear, the implants themselves can last 25 years to a lifetime with proper oral hygiene and regular dental exams.
Dental insurance coverage for All-on-4 implants varies by provider and plan. Some plans may offer partial coverage, particularly if the procedure is deemed medically necessary, while others may not cover it at all. You should work closely with your dental provider to obtain pre-authorization, understand potential out-of-pocket costs, and explore alternative financing options if needed.
All-on-4 dental implants are fixed in place and can only be removed by a dental professional. You’ll never have to take them out to clean them, simply practice a standard oral hygiene routine and attend bi-annual dental exams.
All-on-4 dental implants provide strong, stable teeth that allow you to eat a wide variety of foods with confidence. While there are no specific dietary restrictions, it’s advisable to avoid extremely hard or sticky foods that could place excessive stress on implant-supported prosthetics.
Achieve a Long Lasting Smile at Oakland Family Dental
At Oakland Family Dental, Dr. Sheehan understands the profound impact that a healthy, beautiful smile can have on your life. With All-on-4 dental implants, we offer a transformative solution for those seeking a secure, natural-looking smile restoration. If you’re ready to reclaim your confidence and oral health, schedule a consultation with Dr. Sheehan today by calling our Waterford, MI dental office at (248) 674-0384 to take the first step towards a brighter, more vibrant smile!