Protect Your Oral Health
At Oakland Family Dental, preventive and proactive care is an important part of providing high-quality dentistry to our patients. As part of our routine dental exams, our Waterford Twp. dentist recommends oral cancer screenings for patients during each routine visit.
The Stats Behind Oral Cancer
- Oral cancer kills one American every hour.
- Approximately 42,000 people in the United States will be newly diagnosed with oral cancer in 2013.
- In 2013, among the 42,000 diagnosed with oral cancer in the United States, 18,000 will not be alive in five years.
- Oral cancer’s incidence rate has increased the last five years in a row.
- In 2007, oral cancer’s incidence increased by 11 percent.
- The mortality rate for oral cancer has not changed significantly in three decades
- Oral cancer’s high mortality rate is due to late-stage discovery (Stage III and IV).
- The mortality rate for oral cancer is higher than the rates for cervical cancer, Hodgkin’s lymphoma, laryngeal cancer, testicular cancer, thyroid cancer, and skin cancer.
Did you know that…
40 percent of oral cancers are found in patients who do not show any of the traditional risk factors or any other significant lifestyle risks? As a result, we highly recommend that all patients, regardless of age or lifestyle, visit Oakland Family Dental regularly for a comprehensive oral cancer screening. During this screening, our Waterford dentist will examine your smile for:
- Sores, swellings, or lumps anywhere in the mouth or throat
- Red or white lesions in the mouth
- Numbness, soreness, pain, or tenderness in the mouth, throat, or tongue
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, or a speaking
This means all patients, regardless of age and lifestyle, need an oral exam that looks closely for abnormal tissue.
Connection Between HPV And Oral Cancer
In recent years, studies have suggested a connection between human papilloma virus (HPV) and oral cancer. Some of these findings include:
- Oral HPV increases your risk for oral cancer fifty fold
- Any prior infection with HPV-16 increases your risk for oral cancer ninefold
- Having six or more oral sex partners makes you 8.6 times more likely to get oral cancer
- 60 percent of oropharyngeal cancer is HPV related
- 90 percent of HPV+ oral cancers are HPV-16
- HPV can be transmitted from mother to child
Be Proactive – Visit Oakland Family Dental for Oral Cancer Screenings
Early diagnosis is the key to overcoming oral cancer. To learn more about this condition and get your cancer screening, visit our Waterford dentist today.