Restore Your Smile With Dr. Sheehan
At Oakland Family Dental, we offer dental implants to completely transform your smile. Our Waterford dentist recommends dental implants to patients seeking a simple and efficient way to improve their oral health. Dental implants are highly recommended for patients with missing or damaged teeth. Missing teeth can impact how you talk and what you can eat. With dental implants, you won’t have to feel embarrassed or restrict your diet anymore. Unlike other restorative treatments, an implant acts as a natural tooth root and helps restore the function of your teeth without shifting out of place.
Knowing if you’re a candidate for dental implants can help prevent other oral health issues from developing. Call our Waterford dental office today at (248) 674-0384 to find out if you qualify for dental implants.
Determining Your Candidacy for Dental Implants
Unsure if you’re a good candidate for dental implants? At your consultation, Dr. Sheehan will evaluate the strength of your existing teeth and gums to determine whether your mouth is durable enough to handle these top-rated restorations.
A few determining factors are:
- Jawbone Density: This supports the process of osseointegration, where your dental implants slowly and naturally fuse with your jawbone. To complete the implant placement, it’s necessary to have a sufficient amount of bone tissue.
- Gum Condition: Having strong gum tissue is necessary to support your implants. If you suffer from periodontal (gum) disease, it can negatively impact the success rate of your restorations being secured with the rest of your smile.
- Stable Oral Health: Your oral health should be in good condition before receiving dental implants. This can be improved by having a proper oral hygiene schedule, which includes brushing twice a day, flossing daily, and rinsing with mouthwash.
- Willingness to Follow Instructions: It’s important to listen to Dr. Sheehan and our experienced team to ensure effective results. This includes following aftercare instructions given to you and caring for your dental implants long-term.
Becoming a Candidate for Dental Implants
If you aren’t an immediate candidate for dental implants, there are several ways to increase your chances for candidacy. Most patients are deemed unqualified due to jaw bone degradation, however, we offer several supplemental procedures at our Waterford dental office to stabilize your weakened jawbone.
These supplemental procedures include:
- Bone Grafting — A bone graft involves placing a sample of healthy bone cells onto the weakened area of your jaw. This treatment is used to promote new cell creation and increase bone density.
- Soft tissue augmentation — Also known as a gum graft, this treatment uses healthy gum cells to stimulate cell growth.
- Sinus lifts — Creates additional bone in the upper jaw to allow for a bone graft and dental implant placement.
Frequently Asked Questions
Healthy gums are crucial to the success of your implants, so patients with gum disease won’t be able to immediately qualify for the procedure. Our Waterford dentists offer a variety of treatments to eliminate gum infections and restore the health of your smile. Once your gums are free of bacteria, you’ll be ready for implant placement.
It’s important that you’re considered an ideal candidate for dental implants before receiving them.Having issues such as low bone density and weak gums won’t provide your implants with the necessary stability they need to stay secured with the rest of your smile. That’s why Dr. Sheehan will have to check off on whether your smile is ready for dental implant surgery.
Smoking and tobacco use can negatively impact your oral health and whether you qualify for dental implants. Not only is it detrimental to your teeth and gums, but can also impact the recovery process after receiving dental implants. If you regularly smoke, it’s important to inform Dr. Sheehan during your initial consultation to receive further instructions.
There are certain medications that can cause complications with your dental implants. For example, osteoporosis medication can lower the density of your jawbone and some antibiotics are known to increase the risk of implant failure.
Any medications that impact your immune system may also cause complications with recovery following a dental implant surgery. We recommend notifying Dr. Sheehan of any medications you’re currently taking so that the appropriate steps can be taken.
Enhance the Beauty of Your Smile at Oakland Family Dental
At Oakland Family Dental, our goal is always to provide the best dental care possible. Our dental implants are custom-made to look and feel like your natural teeth. You can take control of your appearance by visiting our Waterford dental office or scheduling an appointment online or giving us a call at (248) 674-0384. We can’t wait to give you the smile that you deserve.