Revitalize Your Smile with Dental Fillings
Dental fillings are an essential part of restorative dentistry, used to repair teeth damaged by decay or cavities. Our Waterford, MI dentist, Dr. Amanda Sheehan, offers dental fillings to strengthen teeth, restore functionality, and improve your appearance. Whether you have a toothache or a cavity, dental fillings provide a reliable solution.
What Are Dental Fillings?
Dental fillings are a restorative treatment used to repair teeth that have been damaged by decay or cavities. When a tooth suffers from decay, a small hole, or cavity, forms. Dental fillings are used to fill these cavities and restore the tooth’s strength, functionality, and natural appearance. At Oakland Family Dental, we offer various types of dental fillings, including:
- Amalgam Fillings: These are also known as silver fillings. Amalgam fillings are made of a mixture of metals, including silver, tin, copper, and mercury. They are durable and have been used for many years. However, their silver color makes them more noticeable, which can be a concern for some patients.
- Composite Fillings: Composite fillings are made of a mixture of plastic and glass particles. They are tooth-colored and blend in with the natural teeth, making them a popular choice for visible areas of the mouth. Composite fillings bond directly to the tooth structure, providing good support. They are less durable than amalgam fillings and may need to be replaced over time.
- Ceramic Fillings: These fillings are made of porcelain or ceramic materials. They are tooth-colored and offer excellent aesthetics. Ceramic fillings are highly resistant to staining and are well-suited for areas of the mouth that require strength and durability.
Our experienced Waterford dentist will recommend the most suitable option for your specific dental needs.
Benefits of Dental Fillings
Dental fillings offer several benefits, including:
- Restoration of Tooth Structure: Fillings restore the damaged tooth structure, preventing further decay and the need for more invasive treatments like root canals or extractions.
- Improved Functionality: By filling cavities, dental fillings enhance the tooth’s strength and functionality, allowing you to chew and speak comfortably.
- Natural Appearance: Modern dental fillings are designed to closely match the color of your natural teeth, providing a seamless and aesthetically pleasing result.
- Prevention of Sensitivity: Dental fillings seal off exposed tooth nerves, reducing sensitivity to hot or cold substances.
- Long-lasting Results: With proper care and regular dental visits, dental fillings can last for many years, providing lasting protection and restoration.
Dental Fillings Candidacy
Dental fillings are typically recommended for individuals who have:
- Small to moderate-sized cavities
- Tooth decay or damage that doesn’t require extensive treatment
- Sufficient healthy tooth structure to support the filling material
- No signs of infection or gum disease
To determine if dental fillings are suitable for you, we recommend scheduling a consultation with Dr. Sheehan at Oakland Family Dental.
How the Procedure Works
The dental filling procedure generally involves the following steps:
- Numbing the Area: Before the procedure begins, a local anesthetic will be administered to ensure your comfort throughout the treatment.
- Removal of Decay: The decayed portion of the tooth is carefully removed, leaving behind a healthy tooth structure.
- Tooth Preparation: The tooth is cleaned, shaped, and prepared to receive the filling material.
- Filling Placement: The chosen filling material is placed in the prepared cavity, layer by layer, and hardened using a specialized light or chemical process.
- Bite Adjustment and Polishing: Once the filling is in place, your Waterford, MI dentist will make any necessary adjustments to ensure proper bite alignment. The filling is then polished to achieve a smooth and natural-looking finish.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, dental fillings can be replaced if necessary. Over time, fillings may wear down, become loose, or develop new decay around them. Regular dental check-ups will allow your dentist to monitor the condition of your fillings and recommend replacement if needed.
Yes! You can resume your normal eating and drinking habits after getting a dental filling. However, avoid consuming extremely hot or cold foods and beverages immediately following the procedure, as your teeth may be temporarily sensitive.
Some patients may experience temporary sensitivity after getting a dental filling. It is normal to feel a slight sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures immediately after the procedure. However, this sensitivity usually subsides within a few days. If sensitivity persists or worsens, it is best to consult your dentist.
Dental fillings are primarily used to treat existing cavities. However, they can also help prevent future decay by sealing off the treated tooth and creating a barrier against bacteria. It’s important to maintain good oral hygiene and adopt preventive measures, such as regular brushing, flossing, and scheduling biannual dental cleanings, to minimize the risk of new cavities.
Transform Your Smile with Dental Fillings at Oakland Family Dental
With their ability to strengthen teeth, restore functionality, and enhance aesthetics, dental fillings play a crucial role in preserving your oral health and transforming your smile. Whether you’re in need of a minor restoration or seeking to address dental decay, our experienced dentist is dedicated to providing exceptional care and ensuring your comfort throughout the procedure.
By opting for dental fillings, you can regain confidence in your smile while enjoying the benefits of long-lasting results. Take the first step towards a healthier, more vibrant smile by scheduling a consultation by calling Oakland Family Dental at (248) 674- 0384.