Get the Perfect Smile with Orthodontic Treatment
A beautiful smile can boost your confidence and improve your overall oral health. However, misaligned teeth can be a cause of self-consciousness and dental problems. That’s where orthodontics come in. At Oakland Family Dental, our experienced Waterford, MI orthodontist, Dr. Amanda Sheehan, can help you achieve your desired smile. We’re proud to enhance the smiles of Michigan patients in Shelby, Bloomfield Hills, Rochester, and the surrounding areas.
What is Orthodontics?
Orthodontics is a specialized branch of dentistry that focuses on diagnosing, preventing, and correcting misaligned teeth and jaws. Orthodontic treatments such as braces and Invisalign can help straighten teeth, improve your bite, and enhance your overall oral health.
Benefits of Orthodontics
There are several benefits to getting orthodontic treatment, including:
- Improved oral health: Straightening your teeth can make it easier to clean them, reducing the risk of tooth decay, gum disease, and other dental problems.
- Enhanced appearance: Orthodontic treatment can give you a more attractive smile, boosting your self-confidence and improving your overall appearance.
- Better chewing and speech: Correcting misaligned teeth can improve your bite, making it easier to chew and speak properly.
Who Is a Candidate for Orthodontic Treatment?
Orthodontic treatment is suitable for people of all ages, but it is most effective in children and teenagers whose teeth and jaws are still developing. However, adults can also benefit from orthodontic treatment.
If you have any of the following dental problems, you may be a candidate for orthodontic treatment:
- Crowded or crooked teeth
- Overbite, underbite, or crossbite
- Gap between teeth
- Difficulty chewing or speaking
The Orthodontic Treatment Process
- Initial consultation: During your first visit to Oakland Family Dental, Dr.Sheehan will examine your teeth and jaw, take x-rays and impressions, and create a treatment plan tailored to your specific needs.
- Placement of braces or aligners: Depending on your treatment plan, you may receive traditional braces or clear aligners. Braces consist of brackets, wires, and bands that are attached to your teeth, while aligners are clear plastic trays that are customized to fit your teeth.
- Regular adjustments: You will need to visit our office every few weeks to have your braces or aligners adjusted. These adjustments will gradually shift your teeth into the desired position.
- Retainers: Once your braces or aligners are removed, you will need to wear a retainer to maintain your new smile.
Frequently Asked Questions
Orthodontic treatment is a highly personalized process, and the length of treatment varies from patient to patient. The duration of orthodontic treatment depends on several factors, including the severity of the dental problem, the type of treatment, and how well you follow your orthodontist’s instructions. Most patients wear braces or aligners for 18-24 months.
Orthodontic treatment may be covered by dental insurance, but the coverage varies depending on the specific plan. Some plans cover a percentage of the total cost of orthodontic treatment, while others may have a maximum benefit amount. It’s important to review your insurance plan carefully to understand what is covered and what is not.
Orthodontic treatment can cause some discomfort, but it is usually manageable and temporary. When you first get your braces or aligners, you may experience some soreness and discomfort as your teeth start to move into their new positions. This discomfort is normal and should subside after a few days.
If you’re looking for a good orthodontist in your area, there are several steps you can take to find one:
- Ask for recommendations: Start by asking your dentist, family, and friends for recommendations. They may have had positive experiences with an orthodontist and can provide valuable insight.
- Research online: Look up orthodontists in your area and read their reviews on Google, Yelp, or other online review sites. This can give you an idea of their reputation and the experiences of other patients.
- Check their credentials: Make sure the orthodontist is licensed and board-certified. You can check their credentials on the American Board of Orthodontics website.
- Schedule a consultation: Once you’ve narrowed down your list, schedule a consultation with each orthodontist to meet them in person, ask questions, and discuss your treatment options. This can help you get a feel for their bedside manner and expertise.
- Consider affordability: Orthodontic treatment can be expensive, so consider the cost of treatment and if the orthodontist accepts your insurance or offers financing options.
Straighten Your Smile With Dr. Sheehan
Orthodontic treatment can transform your smile and improve your oral health. At Oakland Family Dental, our Waterford dentist provides customized orthodontic treatment plans to meet your specific needs. If you’re considering orthodontic treatment, schedule a consultation with Dr. Sheehan at (248) 674- 0384 or fill out our online form to learn more about your options.